#4 Using Flockmen in Storytelling: Tips to Get Started
Flockmen may look plain and a little same-ish, but they’re designed that way because we want these odd little wooden characters to be YOUR blank slate to a world of incredible storytelling and creativity.
Your Flockmen can be astronauts landing on the moon, a football team, a stuntman in stop motion or guests at a tea party. All you need are your Flockmen, some props (any other toys you love to play with) and a good dose of imagination.
What you need:
- 16+ Flockmen
- Optional: Flockmen personalisation sticker sets
- Some other toys you love to play with (eg. toy cars, doll’s house furniture, blocks, Lego, dinosaurs, themed figurines, bears
- Crafty things: felt, plasticine, foam, sticky tape, paper, poster paints (water soluble, glue)
- Picture books and movie posters for inspiration
This is open-ended imaginative play. There are no rules, but here are some ideas to get you started!
- Choose a scene from your favourite picture book or movie and recreate it using Flockmen and your other toys.
- Make your own ‘Flockmen installation vignette’ by setting up a stop motion scene or a static scene with characters in an unexpected area eg. like this leaping stop motion Flockmen scene on the TV cabinet.
- Use Flockmen in multiple ways during your dramatic storytelling ie. as the army marching towards the castle, OR as the castle itself.
- Pick a nursery rhyme and use Flockmen to tell the tale
- Find photos of some famous world sites online (eg. The Colosseum, Stonehenge, Niagara Falls, American mid-west desert), print them off and stick them on a wall behind a bench or tabletop. You can now create a stop motion movie scene with Flockmen in front of that backdrop.
- Take photos of your stories involving Flockmen and put them into a DIY book (you can upload photos and design online, then get it printed and sent to you.)
We’d love to see what fabulous stories you tell with Flockmen. Share your creations with us on Facebook and Instagram: #flockmenchallenge
Get open-ended possibility into your hands