#4 Using Flockmen in Storytelling: Tips to Get Started
Flockmen may look plain and a little same-ish, but they’re designed that way because we want these odd little wooden characters to be YOUR blank slate to a world of incredible storytelling and creativity.
Your Flockmen can be astronauts landing on the moon, a football team, a stuntman in stop motion or guests at a tea party. All you need are your Flockmen, some props (any other toys you love to play with) and a good dose of imagination.
What you need:
- 16+ Flockmen
- Optional: Flockmen personalisation sticker sets
- Some other toys you love to play with (eg. toy cars, doll’s house furniture, blocks, Lego, dinosaurs, themed figurines, bears
- Crafty things: felt, plasticine, foam, sticky tape, paper, poster paints (water soluble, glue)
- Picture books and movie posters for inspiration
This is open-ended imaginative play. There are no rules, but here are some ideas to get you started!
- Choose a scene from your favourite picture book or movie and recreate it using Flockmen and your other toys.
- Make your own ‘Flockmen installation vignette’ by setting up a stop motion scene or a static scene with characters in an unexpected area eg. like this leaping stop motion Flockmen scene on the TV cabinet.
- Use Flockmen in multiple ways during your dramatic storytelling ie. as the army marching towards the castle, OR as the castle itself.
- Pick a nursery rhyme and use Flockmen to tell the tale
- Find photos of some famous world sites online (eg. The Colosseum, Stonehenge, Niagara Falls, American mid-west desert), print them off and stick them on a wall behind a bench or tabletop. You can now create a stop motion movie scene with Flockmen in front of that backdrop.
- Take photos of your stories involving Flockmen and put them into a DIY book (you can upload photos and design online, then get it printed and sent to you.)